Wednesday 30 March 2011: sorting capacity
Although JPEGs straight out of the camera are nice and punchy, I'm going to stick with RAW processing. As I only have PS CS2 whose appropriate Bridge version doesn't understand the D7000's .NEFs I'm having to convert them to .DNG, which requires at least as much space as the .NEFs take up spare in order to get them off the card and renamed before converting to .DNG before deleting the .NEFs. Leaving the RAW file inside the .DNG makes them hover somewhere around 30MB, or 20MB if the RAW file isn't squeezed in. For a while I'd been having to find things to delete every couple of days to be able to transfer the old camera's daily image-harvest onto my computer so attempting the same thing with twice as many files, each twice the size, of which there briefly need to be twice as many copies would have been somewhat unworkable. I managed to find a load of space by trimming some of the non-Edgar pictures from the existing .NEF archive folder (already triple-backed-up but left on here for the moment just in case I find one I need to re-process or never got round to processing due to time constraints on the day it was taken) and currently have just over 12GB spare but with 1.5GB already occupied with .DNGs and developed .JPGs since I brought the new camera home last Friday evening. Fortunately there's still most of a 2TB drive sitting in the cupboard next to the internal HDD dock which makes it slightly cheaper to buy more backup/archive space but I'm still going to have to keep on being slightly more ruthless regarding deleting obviously-shit copies of things, which I only occasionally used to do but have been reasonably diligent at over the past week.