Saturday 14 May 2011: My chutney brings all the boys to the yard
1. Long lie, totally immersed in Hungry Hill. I realise that if there's a chance Caroline might not go into labour today I might be able to nip up to Pitlochry and watch Colin's race. There's an hour or so when I think it might be possible then reality hits and I am told that there's just no way of knowing when it will be. I get up and the dilemma is put to bed. I stay where I am.
2. I spend some much needed time cleaning my flat with Ruben for company.
3. Inspired by A Chef's Day on Blip I decided to make picalili. However I get home and discover a full jar so plump for tomato chutney instead. I've never made it before and the afternoon passes in a haze of chopping and stirring.
4. And this is the final result. A great big jar of chutney. I also get two bottles of what I think will become salad dressing into the bargain. The picture behind the jars is a frame full recipe cards that belonged to my gran. I inherited a box stuffed full of recipes all written in her hand - with her notes and additions. That little box contained a lifetime worth of cooking and a couple of years ago I selected some to frame. There's Almond Slices, the card covered in her finger prints, and Victoria Sponge which we made fairly recently. There's a lot of dips - she was obsessed with dips and something with fish and fruit which is best ignored. I only notice too late that there's a chutney recipe which I had totally forgotten about. It looks tastier than the one I found online too.
5. Gilly's house for Eurovision. C'mon Moldova!