Sunday 11 September 2011: Pedal for Scotland
Well that was a whole new cycling experience, and the weather wasn't anywhere near as bad as anticipated.
- The safety of riding with such a huge number of other cyclists. The motorists were infinitely more respectful than normal.
- The guy on the unicycle. I really hope he was going the whole way.
- The hills. Strange but true, the more I cycle, the more I like going up hills.
- Riding through Murrayfield stadium at the finish.
- The occasional idiot motorist trying to pass such a huge number of cyclists incredibly dangerously.
- The constant stopping and starting at red lights on the way out of Glasgow. Couldn't they just shut a few roads or junctions for a few hours?
- The slow people. I think I might build myself up for the 100 miler next year.
Insto has all the stats, but be warned - you'll have to look at his legs and a sliver of Lycra too. Unfortunately I worked out my calorie expulsion at just over 3,000 before reading his post, all of which I think I've already replaced at the kids birthday party I crashed on the way home.