Tips for replicating this image;
1. wake at 5am and decide to get up.
2. stumble around trying not to wake others and make/drink tea
3. climb into copious amounts of warm clothing
4. exit cabin with camera and tripod
5. check external thermometer and note it reads -20
6. wading through knee/thigh deep snow, make your way through the forest in the general direction of north.
7. find suitable location and visualise the image
8. compose/focus in darkness
9. guesstimate exposure
10. having selected 'manual' and 'Bulb' setting, open shutter trying to time the exposure on a watch you cannot see properly and hope for the best. Remind yourself to source a better solution for this.
11. repeat steps 7,8,9 and 10 as required.