Sunday 1 April 2012: 21 days to happiness
I found a fascinating Ted talk today,
The happy secret to better work
We are brought up in a world where we are taught that success leads to happiness, bit the science all say otherwise, happiness causes success, not then other way around.
I've known it for ages, but what is fascinating about the talk is that they list a number of tested and proven items to drive optimism and happiness:
- writing down three new things they are grateful for for 21 days.
- journaling about one positive experience you have had over the past 24 hours.
So I thought I'd give it a go, here on my blip.
I had my first 'photo walk in the sun' for summer today. The warm air, headphones in, sun on my skin and camera in hand. I love living with empty fields on our doorstep. I saw kites and buzzards skimming the skies hunting for some elusive thermals, cotton tailed rabbits running from me, farmed pheasants with new chicks and big open fields with no one else to be seen.
I'm grateful for:
- S1 buying me a full size BBQ and having patience while I've learnt to cook a great BBQ. We had the first burgers of spring today.
- Having good hearing. The distant cry of a kit in the sky fills me with wonder like I'm a kid again.
- Having some handyman skills... and the screwdriver set my uncle brought me for my 21st (it's been used for a decade and is still going strong, it even put together idea furniture today).