Saturday 28 April 2012: Edith Pargeter Window
Backblipped for Saturday.
Before leaving Shrewsbury we spent an hour at the abbey. Built on the site of an insignificant wooden chapel, the abbey, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, was founded in 1083 by Roger de Montgomery following the Norman conquest.
It was at Shrewsbury Abbey that Edith Pargeter, under the penname Ellis Peters, set her detective novels of Brother Cadfael, based on the architecture of that time. The abbey was dissolved in 1540 and much subsequently demolished, including the cloister, for the railway and road re-allignment.
In 1997 a new stained glass window depicting St Benedict was installed in the Abbey and was dedicated to the memory of Edith Pargeter. A panel depicting a book and her name appears on the right hand side.
We then left for a family lunch and continued to friends for the night.