Saturday 26 May 2012: Things that make me happy...
820/365: ... globe artichokes.
Well, they're on the list... the list would actually look something like this today (it changes most days!)
1. The fact that my Globe Artichokes are surviving and producing... surprisingly... Globe Artichokes!
2. The fact that that makes me happy even though I don't know what I'm going to do with them
3. Earthing up my spuds and smelling the warm damp earth after I've done the watering
4. Drinking cups of tea under the shade of the Silver Birch in our garden
5. Maddy managing to join in with her new swimming class with no tears or clinging
6. Felix asking for seconds and not declaring dinner to be horrible
7. Hanging out the washing in the sunshine (weirdly satisfying)
Actually, 1 - 8 could probably all be 'tea'. I love tea. And would happily have been relaxing drinking a nice cuppa instead of sitting through the excruciating experience of Felix's swimming lesson. Bobbing Bobby (the kid who swims like he's trying to bite his toes and ends up going nowhere fast) was on form... as ever. And messing about. As was another boy. And... a certain Felix Horrigan too. Hmmmm... At one point Felix was sitting on the side of the pool when the teacher was talking to them, but instead of listening was dunking his head in the water. Aaaargh! When he listens, Felix gets it quickly and gets on with swimming. But blimey he was not switched on when it came to actually concentrating today.
Other stuff I've done today? Not a lot. Maddy's been planning (already) her birthday. She wants a party in a local park with just about the whole of her class, wants a cake shaped like a ladybird and would like a treasure hunt. She spent a fair bit of the afternoon making invites and more invites. Will be intrigued to see if she goes through with it after her long and glorious history of party failure!
PS Have also done the weeding...
PPS ... and had a nap.
PPPS I have turned into a retiree and I like it. :o)