Saturday 9 June 2012: Newts!
Decided to do some more to clearing up the garden after all the work on the new pond. I've managed to give away large amounts of irises and bogbean from the old pond but we still had a paddling pool full of the old plants and water from the previous pond. We disposed of the old plants and then decided to check the remaining water for any creatures that needed transplanting.
With huge excitement we discovered two newts in the paddling pool. I had a vague suspicion that there might have been at least one in there as I thought I'd seen a tail when we were emptying the old pond. We've wanted to find newts for years and so it was very, very exciting to find two healthy specimens and transfer them to the new pond (with specially selected newt-friendly plants already in place - though too late for breeding now). We transferred a couple of diving beetles and a few water slaters too.
I went to get some plants for the bog area and for the edges of the pond in the afternoon. As I was planting them, I kept looking out for the newts. Found it hard to keep away. Now hoping that there is enough food for the newts in the new pond - guess they'll be heading off into the garden soon.