Thursday 16 August 2012: Deep end 2
1. The day starts with a walk to Govanhill baths for a Lifeguard project meeting. I love these meetings they are full of things you never expect to hear yourself say and questions you never thought you'd ask - how to launder flipflops, how to brand a chip poke, that kind of thing.
2. We get to see the pool again, which is looking very spruce and ready for us. This is taken from the deep end as the lighting canopy is explained to us.
3. Memories of swimming and the paraphernalia of pools fill my mind. Chicken soup out the machine, bacon flavoured crisps, chips on the way home.
4. My favourite was when we went straight after mass on a Sunday. It made mass bearable and the fry up once we got home all the better.
5. It all gets a bit dull and functional, swimming, when you get older. In. Out, and a quick tut at all the noisy kids ruining it. It's easy to forget how much fun it used to be, seeing a big empty pool and knowing that you wanted to stay all day.