Saturday 18 August 2012: Crinan Canal
'' The Crinan canal is a canal in the west of Scotland. It takes its name from the village of Crinan at its westerly end. Nine miles long, it connects the village of Ardrishaig on Loch Gilp with the Sound of Jura, providing a navigable route between the Clyde and the Inner Hebrides, without the need for a long diversion around the Kintyre peninsula, and in particular the exposed Mull of Kintyre. The canal has essentially no height limit, and is a popular route today for yachts to travel from the Firth of Clyde to the west coast of Scotland. It is 10 feet (3m) deep.
The canal was originally built for commercial sailing vessels and later Clyde puffers to travel between the industrialised region around Glasgow to the West Highland villages and islands. It was designed by civil engineer John Rennie and work started in 1794, but the canal was not completed until 1801 (two years later than planned). Problems, particularly with the locks, meant that some parts of the canal had to be redesigned - a task that fell to Thomas Telford in 1816. The locks were again reconstructed and deepened in the 1930s, and the canal became the responsibility of British Waterways in 1962. ''
Been walking today.
The day started dull and threatening rain, and as we drove north to Crinan there was a lot of mist around. However, when we reached Ardrishaig it was sunny and warm, perfect for our nine miler to Crinan along the canal. It was flat, and we did it fast, the slower group did six and a half miles from Lochgilphead and we passed them on the way to Crinan.
We travelled homewards towards Inveraray and had an hour there to have a drink. We actually had fish suppers, and sat down at the loch to take in the spectacular view.
We weren't very hungry when we got home, due to the fish suppers, so we had strawberries, ice cream and yoghurt, delicious. And now a glass of red.....
A great day......
More pictures here