Friday 26 March 2010: Next round .....
Well I'm glad to report that the firing itself went really well, the kiln fired evenly, which is something I've been trying to deal with for sometime, and it was a relatively simple solution....but now I'm faced with the many variations, choices etc that are laid before me! And to tell the truth there was a bit of disappointment with a couple of the glazes! You see, you do a test with a small amount of glaze on a small piece of pottery to make sure it won't run off the pot onto the kiln shelves and cause all sorts of problems. But of course when this small amount of colour, texture etc gets translated into something bigger, like a bowl, or a teapot, then things change quite a bit. I know this, and I was prepared for that to be the case in a couple of situations....but i got myself into a bit of funk afterward cos I still don't have a cohesive group of glazes that I feel are resolved. And I know that this is the creative process in full blown action!!! What was it i said a few days ago.....oh the excitement and anticipation of things turning out totally awesome 2nd time around.....oh well, it'll be just fine. There is still quite a bit of work ahead of me, but mostly I'm just fine with that.....tonight that is, after spending the day mulling things over!!!
This image is just a few of the pieces placed on the kiln rim to try and help us decide what direction to go next!!! There will be more of the fruits of this kiln shown onflickr before the end of the evening. Also on my blog - jezz, i'm scaring myself by how techy i'm becoming!!!
3-4 of the glazes have a lot of potential, I now have to wait and produce lots of pots to get another kiln load ready before i can do the next phase of testing.....that's probably what's frustrating me, I want to make the changes NOW, and see the results....NOW!!! yup, patience is my nemesis for sure!!!
On a lighter note....Terry and I spent the afternoon shopping in Sydney and that was mostly a pleasant distraction!