Friday 16 April 2010: Electrocution
About a month ago there were comments on this blip about electrocution...
I felt very very foolish as the other comments were along the lines of 'I've done that once'...
Where as I seem to do it monthly.
So anyway, a month on (you know where this is going right!) we finally sorted new lights. This is the new light for the ceiling in the lounge
Sarah did say at the start - just don't electrocute yourself. I told her not to worry as I'd turned off the downstairs lighting circuit at the fuse board.
It was actually easy enough to fit, but then came the tactical error...
I decided to 'test' it before going too far so I put in a couple of bulbs and flicked it on.
I should have known better... 2 bulbs wasn't enough load and we blew the dimmer switch - a very very stupid £40 error :-/
(You know what they say: "Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want".)
So anyway, that meant also replacing the dimmer.
Which of course led to an almighty electric jolt as I touched the wrong wires.
As far as shocks go, this was a pretty good one with a ground wire firmly held in one hand and in the other I had a metal screwdriver poking into the live wires.
(Note to self: the 3 way switch in the lounge includes lights on both the upstairs and downstairs light circuits, so next time turn both off at the fuse board).
All in all though, I think it was worth it.