Suzy's Scenes

By suzyscenes

Sundowner in Bandon

What a day! My husband and I were woke up last night at 11:30 by a well-meaning friend who told us about the 8.9 earthquake in Japan and the impending doom of a huge tsunami coming our way at about 8:15 a.m.. We were a little nervous, but knew that that these warnings in the past didn't amount to much.

We finally got back to sleep and then at 1:30 a.m. the phone rang again; another well-meaning friend. This time, we were so awake that we watched the weather channel for a little while. When we couldn't stay awake any longer, we turned off the TV and went back to sleep.

Then, at about 3:00 a.m, the phone rang again; you guessed it, another well-meaning friend who told us the sirens were going off; we didn't hear them. Probably all the phone calls drowned them out. We assured him that we were prepared and he need not worry.

We slowly drifted off again, and at around 4:00 a.m. the phone rang. My husband tried to open the phone up, but his thumb slipped, and he hung up on the person calling. He looked at the name in the viewer, though, so he knew who it was. He thought they would probably call back, but they didn't. Well, the person who called is a fisherman and I kind of wanted to hear his viewpoint on the tsunami, so I urged my husband to call him back, and he relented.

The fisherman wasn't too worried, but he did mention that if the wave came over the North Spit, we might have a problem. Oh boy, now I was getting kind of worried.

We fell asleep again, and at 5:30 a.m., the phone rang again, and my daughter said "Mom, are you watching the news?" I said, "We don't have to, we finding out all we need to know from phone calls.". I guess by now, I was getting a little testy.

Anyway, we went back and forth about leaving the house, just in case, and so we decided we would go out to breakfast in town and just wait and see what happened.

The restaurant was packed. Amazingly, we found a booth, however, it took a good hour to get our food. I wolfed down my breakfast and went to work.

There were still all kinds of warnings and speculations about what was going to happen, but in the end, fortunately, nothing did. But, unfortunately, those in Japan have fared badly. It is time to keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

I later went to Bandon to get my hair cut, and I was able to catch the sunset. It was a lot nicer that I thought it would be.

Here is another shot I liked

Now, I am going to bed, thankful for what I have, and hoping to get a good night's sleep. Should I turn off the phone?

Sign in or get an account to comment.