That Will Do!

By flumgummery

Time to check our local pond for frogspawn. It  is not so much a pond as a muddy puddle, despite which there is plenty of frogspawn; sadly this will dry up unless we have rain soon or the drain that feeds it is unblocked.

Not good for photos so we went across the park to Comiston House.

It is a B-listed building, built in 1815 for James Forrest. This replaced an earlier house on the site, built by Andrew Creich (whose granddaughter, Lady Colmestone, allowed the supply of clean water to Edinburgh from springs on her land).

James Forrest served as Lord Provost of Edinburgh from 1837 to 1843 and, as Grand Master Mason of Scotland, laid the foundation stone for the Scott Monument.

Another resident after 1915 was the Dowager Lady Elphinstone, who, in her 80's, lived there for some years.

For many years it was the Pentland Hills Hotel and was closed for some time before restoration in 1996 when converted into flats.

  • 0
  • 0