Sorry for yet another guitar blip, but I had a breakthrough last night. Maddy snapped a string on her guitar last week. Hers has different tuning posts from mine (mine are vintage style split posts, hers are string throughs for those who are interested).
I'd never re-strung on this sort before and on the first attempt when I tried tuning all the strings slipped out. I then used her two packets of light electric strings with minimal success. It was going ok but when I tried stretching them to help keep them in tune I kept snapping the high e string.
Finally yesterday I changed tack and put slightly heavier gauge strings on (10's rather than 9's) and it was fourth time lucky. Thank goodness for that as my accoustic will be needing re-strung soon and it's the same sort of posts but far more expensive strings.
Also, on another subject entirely my first experiment with the gin cocktail wasn't a huge success. What I did learn is that, while it may be equal measures of elderflower and ginger beer, you certainly shouldn't be using an equal measure of freshly squeezed lemon juice. What was meant to be a glass had to be made into a jug instead to negate the lemon juice and make it a passable drink. It still wasn't quite right. I'm not sure whether to keep experimenting or bite the bullet and head into Amicus Apple for the recipe. I'll keep you posted though.