Monday 7 May 2012: Day 1. The expedition begins
1. It's polar bear day today. The panniers are loaded up and Colin sets off to start the day laden but bright in the blue jacket on the blue bike.
2. I head over and join the leaving party at the Glue Factory. Preparations for departure are well underway and friends and family gather round with cups of tea and share the excitement and the relief that it's not us making the trip.
3. This is the moment they set off. Glasgow to Kilmarnock. The route is set the plans made. Off they go.
4. Mum and Aunty Linda meanwhile set off for Fenwick, where a few hours later they wave the team on as they pass. I think it cheers everyone up and acts as a welcome break.
5. They are safe and warm when I talk to them, much later. Running lines in the lounge of the hotel ready for day 2.