Swanupping is the annual counting of the swans on behalf of the Queen, which starts in Putney.
Five facts about The Swanupper:
- A 15 foot high piece of work by the sculptor Edward Bainbridge Copnall (1903-1973).
- Completed in 1963, it was the first fibreglass sculpture in Britain, 'and therefore probably in the world' according to the artist.
- Shows a man in Doggett's Coat and Badge grappling with a swan.
- Attached to the first floor of Riverbank House (the ICT building) on the northern approach to Putney Bridge.
- Frequently mistaken for a Henry Moore artwork.
- Canon PowerShot S90