Theatre Royal Spiral Staircase
The latest impressive addition to Glasgow’s streetscape has injected some fresh vitality to the northern end of Hope Street with the completion of a structurally expressive extension to the Theatre Royal.
Developed by Page\Park Architects on behalf of Scottish Opera the drum-shaped addition wraps around a double cantilever enclosing a custom built spiral staircase which rises through the full height of the interior.
The Theatre Royal is the oldest theatre in Glasgow, it was originally opened in 1867 as the Royal Colosseum & Opera House by James Baylis, changing its name to the Theatre Royal in 1869, and is the longest running theatre in Scotland.
Nearly a year after the devastating fire which severely damaged the Mackintosh Building at the Glasgow School of Art, architects have been appointed to lead the restoration of the historic building.
Glasgow based Page\Park Architects have been named as the design team who will lead the restoration of the world famous building designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh.
- Olympus E-M1