Behind the curve

By cassegw


The tower in the gardens of Duddingston Manse was designed for the Duddingston Curling Society in 1825 by William Playfair. The Society used the ground floor as their clubhouse, and The Reverend John Thomson used the upper floor of the tower, as his painting studio.

To ensure privacy to paint in his studio, Thomson named the Tower "Edinburgh", in order that casual visitors to the Manse could be informed by his staff that he was unavailable, as he had gone to "Edinburgh".

Sign in or get an account to comment.