Half an hour after the wingpiglet was persuaded to go to sleep ("Dark! Dark!") despite the light intruding from outside through the tent's thin walls, we could hear our associates in the next tent along having what sounded very much like a is-it-too-windy? sort of discussion, though I thought this had already been sorted by me lending Doug a few beefy corner-section pegs to supplement the existing pegs, which weren't fully inserted into the sub-optimal ground. It had been a bit windy when we got back in from a barbecue at Stuart & Fiona's caravan a few fields to the north but no windier than you'd expect a campsite on a cliff to be on a fairly windy evening. Cars had been shifted a little bit closer to tents for a little extra windbreaking and so on, though it was apparently insufficient as a Kirsty-head poked itself in a little bit later to ask our opinions of the wind and tents and the wind's effect on tents and sleeping bairns and the like. The wingpiglet snored peacefully throughout. I offered more pegs but they were not taken. Some time later, during which the flysheet had been flapping about the same as it had already been flapping the head reappeared, asking the same questions about the resilience of mere string, pegs and nylon in the face of winds of up to possibly twenty-five miles an hour. I suggested that tents were designed to cope with the odd bit of wind, proposed moving the car again so that the nose of the car was facing the wind and the tent was in what would be the car's slipstream had the car been moving (as our car was arranged) and again indicated the sleeping wingpiglet, who hadn't even turned over yet. Unfortunately, a little while later we could hear packing-things-up-to-run-away-to-the-caravan noises so I went out to offer assistance, just in time to catch one of the matching children being lugged, still fast asleep, from the tent to the car. Whilst sitting in a tent in mild winds is no problem there was probably more risk trying to take it down, but both next-door tents were successfully bagged and both neighbouring families safely transported to the caravan, which must have been very crowded with six adults and five children in it. The wingpiglet eventually woke up sometime after seven the next morning, with the tent intact around him.

Sign in or get an account to comment.