A spectacularly warm and sunny day today; just the day to visit the formal garden at Pitmedden.
The Great Garden dates back to 1675 when it was originally laid out by Sir Alexander Seton. During the second World War the garden was turned over to vegetables but In the 1950s the National Trust for Scotland re-created the garden based on 17th-century plans of the gardens at the Palace of Holyrood in Edinburgh. With almost 6 miles of clipped box hedging, the parterres at the heart of the garden are a masterpiece of intricate patterns and sparkling colours.
The main photograph shows the Analemmatic sundial that has been laid on one of the garden terraces. According to Mrs T's shadow it was 2.30 in the afternoon and time for a cuppa! It is fortunate man indeed who has his own personal gnomon!
The extra shows part of the parterres as seen through the ancient glass in one of the pavilions that overlook the garden.
All in all a grand day out!