Frida x 2!
Salma Hayek and Circe Henestrosa (my sis-in-law), #inspiredbyfrida
“Frida Kahlo: Making HerSelf Up”, V&A, London
This photo, taken by my brother, pinged into my inbox in the wee small hours of the morning. (I didn’t go on to the After Party, didn’t have the stamina.) Salma Hayek officially opened the exhibition yesterday evening, but unbeknown to me, she was just one of the famous faces there. Mind you, even if I’d seen them, I probably wouldn’t have recognised them! But if you are a celebrity spotter, then you can see them here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5841923/Salma-Hayek-channels-Frida-Kahlo-time-playing-15-years-ago.html And if you happened to watch the ITN news last night, then you would have seen footage of the exhibition and evening do, along with an interview with Circe as co-curator of the exhibition.
Frida Kahlo may be a recent discovery by the UK, but, as a family, we’ve known about her for a long time. C has a strong personal connection with Kahlo; it was her great aunt (who was a close friend of Frida and her husband Diego Rivera) who introduced Frida to her trademark Tehuana style of dress. On my past trips to Mexico, I’ve also visited Kahlo’s home and many museums associated with her life and artworks.
In extras, a few pics from London: The Ritz, The Wolseley and a view of the mews houses at the back of the hotel. With three World Cup matches dominating tomorrow’s events, I should have plenty of time to finally catch up with you all, but in the meantime, thank you soooo much for all your kind comments, stars and hearts for yesterday’s blip. I was surprised/horrified to see my face on page 3 of Popular; I think I may have blown my anonymity! ;))
Just for my own sake, notes on the last two days:
Yesterday in brief:
- hassle-free journey to London Paddington by bus and train where my brother was waiting
- after checking in at hotel in Kensington, just down road from V&A, to Piccadilly for a late lunch at The Wolseley, with Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen sitting next to us!
- back to hotel to rest and prepare for the evening, then on to the V&A to join family and friends in celebrating C’s wonderful achievement in putting on this fab exhibition!
- back to hotel for a nightcap, then collapse...
Today in brief:
- after brekkie at the hotel, taxi to C’s temporary home in Notting Hill where my brother was waiting with hire car.
- left London and the high life behind, and drove home to the sleepy West Country (C stayed on in London due to continuing V&A duties)
- Chef immediately went shopping then cooked up a feast and...
- Opened a magnum of Prosecco!!