Castel of Terworm by night
The current complex dates largely from the 17th century when the old 15th-century, the defensible predecessor was converted into living quarters. The castle has two wings in a T-shaped floor plan and, together with a front castle, lies on a completely covered terrain, where the appearance of a moated castle is created. The wings are fully equipped with saddle roofs that connect to stepped gables and spout gables. The main building is accessible from the front via a marlstone arch bridge from 1843 to the main entrance. At the back, it has an Arkel turret at each corner and there is also an arch bridge that gives access to the castle garden through a decline. The protruding corner tower, situated on the transition between the two wings, is the oldest part of the castle and dates back to the 15th century. This was initially built as a round tower but was converted octagonal in the 17th century.
The front castle consists of a U-shaped court with a two-story building from 1670, as indicated by year anchors. The gatehouse has a hard stone bridge front and is equipped with a slate pyramid roof. It is the oldest part of the castle and is accessible via an arch bridge from about 1850. The west wing from 1716 is also dated with year anchors, while the south wing is equipped with a keystone with the year 1718. In the north wing is a facing brick from 1621, which was to come from the Eijckholt farm.
The castle garden is a reconstruction based on excavations of and research into the French rococo garden which was constructed in 1787 by Count Vincent van der Heyden-Belderbusch. Old slate varieties, roses, and lavender, together with boxwood form the authentic planting and indicate the structure. The garden is public and a favorite wedding location and can be accessed free of charge.