Nicky and her Nikon

By NickyR


It was very exciting to arrive in Dubrovnik early this morning. Gavin and I were already outside on that jogging track and could watch the walls of the city come into view. After breakfast we got the tender boat into town, and walked around enjoying the quaint narrow alleyways and beautiful stone buildings. We were here 9 years ago and it does not seem to have changed much. It is such a beautiful city, and quite special being a walled city. We then decided to walk the wall, which gave elevated views over the beautiful terracotta roofs, although we knew it would be hot, but one cannot come to Dubrovnik and not do the wall. The boys shirts were wet from sweat (I know, it sounds and was disgusting!) and so they took them off and walked around bare chested! After we finished the course of the wall Gavin and I found a shady cafe and had a cold drink while the boys went swimming. We decided to go back to the boat for a late lunch. This is a view of the old fort, which was used in the filming of Game of Thrones. I have added an extra of the red rooftops, although being the morning I was shooting in to the light which was not ideal. 

We had some good news today - Luke received a phone call to offer him a post-graduate training contract at EY, starting in September 2019 when he finishes his degree. He was delighted about that - and is following in both his parent’s footsteps to become a chartered accountant so we are very pleased too. The other bit of good news is that I got an email to say that ‘one or more’ of my wildlife images have been shortlisted in a wildlife photography competition I entered, and the prizes are being awarded next week but as we will still be on holiday I will unfortunately miss it. They will be on display and available for sale, and the pro photographer organising the sales said he was very impressed with my images so they are hoping to sell some! (I hope so too!)

Sadly Thomas leaves us today to go on the school rugby tour/pre-season training camp in Biarritz. At 6pm we went by the tender boat back to Dubrovnik where he was met by the boat's agent who will take him by car to clear customs, as it it some 4km away from the boat. They have then also arranged transport to get him to the airport. He will return on the 27th, right at the end of the cruise which is the day of Adam’s 21st birthday. He was sad to leave us and we were sorry to see him go.

Comments New comments are not currently accepted on this journal.