Picture Post

By HectorMcLeod

Ross Hall

James Cowan built the baronial style Ross Hall House in 1877

Cowan was a Glasgow contractor and connoisseur of the arts and Ross Hall was designed to display his rich collection of silver, jewellery, porcelain, books and paintings. Some of these were housed in the gallery above the hall, reached by a staircase lit by stained glass windows representing the arts.

After Cowan’s death the house was purchased by the Lobnitz family of Glasgow shipbuilding fame. Lobnitz was also a philanthropist and gifted much to the local community.

In 1948 the Corporation of Glasgow purchased the estate for £17,000.

In 1981 Ross Hall was purchased by a group of Glasgow surgeons. Subsequently a large extension was built. Today the hospital is run by BMI and 500 consultants provide a comprehensive range of specialities to both in and outpatients.

Ross Hall public park with original rock pool and gardens is maintained by Glasgow City Council

Comments
Sign in or get an account to comment.