Culterty House was once one of the finest residences in Newburgh on Ythan. It was built in the late 1800s by the owners of the mill and granary on the banks of the Ythan. Later it became the the home of Dr and Mrs H. Edgar Smith, who kept a large collection of waterfowl on the fresh and salt-water ponds in the grounds. In 1957 the University of Aberdeen acquired the site as an ecological field station for the Department of Natural History (Zoology). Sadly the house has become surplus to the University's requirements and is now boarded up and is deteriorating at an extraordinary rate. Those responsible for its care should be hanging their heads in shame.
Extra. On a happier note, across the river, a rainbow had struck a crock of golden sand.