During Matilda’s carburettor rebuild I found the accelerator cable ‘unhelpful’. Taking it apart today (lefthand image) I found the reason why there never seemed to be a responsive throttle.
Taking the cable and fitting off wasn’t that hard, getting it back was near impossible on my own.
Holding a bolt and fitting onto the engine bulkhead and placing a washer and nut on the other side, inside the car under the dashboard whilst laying upside down across the driver’s seat, requires very flexible arms at least 12’ long.
The righthand image shows how I worked out this predicament. The far end of the metal rod is holding the bolt in place.
My accelerator pedal is now firm and responsive without sticking on full throttle! There are still a few things to sort out before Matilda is 100%. Every day a school day.