Old Roman Bridge
Almost two thousand years ago the Romans built a fort at Inveresk in Musselburgh with a bridge which until recently was the main approach to Edinburgh from the east.. The bridge is usually called the Roman Bridge although all that remains now are some stones in its foundations since it had been rebuilt in medieval times and again in 1597 with a third arch added on the eastern side. Steep steps lead up on each side so it can be used only as a footpath. Through the arch can be seen the New Bridge which was built in 1806 and widened in 1925 to cope with motor traffic.
(Thanks to Freyjad for today’s Widwed challenge of ‘Bridge or footpath.’)