Alhambra Theatre, Dunfermline
The Alhambra Theatre opened in Dunfermline, Scotland, on 14 August 1922. Designed by local architect John Fraser, it was constructed over a two-year period by George Stewart of Blantyre and is located on the corner of Canmore Street and New Row. Built from red brick, on completion it was the largest brick building in Dunfermline.
The plans for The Alhambra Theatre were lodged by Scottish and Provincial Theatres Ltd on 27 November 1919 and the land and responsibility were transferred to Alhambra Dunfermline Ltd on 25 October 1921. Before the theatre was completed the funds to pay the various contractors was almost exhausted so to permit completion of the building shares in The Alhambra were issued to the various contractors in lieu of final payment of their bills.
The Alhambra was built to be both a theatre and a cinema, and opened on 22 August 1922 with a screening of Over the Hill.
The theatre was used as a cinema from 1925 to 1965 and a bingo hall from 1965 to 2006. It lay empty in 2007, and was then restored by a private developer, reopening in 2008