Castle of Eijsden
In the early Middle Ages, the castle belonged to the prince-bishops of Liège. In 1334 there is mention of "den hof tot Esde" which was given by Duke Jan III of Brabant to Dyederic of Montjoy and Valkenburg. Thus the estate of Eijsden came into the possession of the lords of Valkenburg in the person of Walram van Valkenburg. In 1558, Eijsden came into the possession of Arnold II Huyn van Amstenraedt, lord of Geleen, drossaerd of the Land of Valkenburg, governor of Brabant's Maastricht and captain-general of Limburg and the Landen van Overmaze.
The castle was built in 1636, rebuilt in 1767, and restored historically in 1881-1886. It consists of two perpendicular wings that connect at the outer corner to a protruding heavy corner tower, which is flanked by a narrow staircase tower. Both towers have a helmet roof with a knobbly spire. At the end of the east wing, there is also a tower-like building with a gate with a passage to the courtyard. Above this gate is the year of completion of the castle and the alliance coat of arms of the De Lamargelle and von Bocholtz families. This tower also has a helmet roof with a knobbly point. The whole is completely moated so that it can be treated as a water castle. The castle is built in a Mannerist Mosan Renaissance style, with facades that are all richly covered with layers of bacon (bands of Namur stone interspersed with red bricks), window frames of Namur stone and a cornice of Namur stone.