Bridgnorth Cliff Railway...
Construction started in 1891 and completed and opened the following year, also know as the Bridgnorth Funicular Railway.
Originally the railway was powered by a simple system using water and gravity. Water was pumped into a 2,000 gallon tank beneath the top car until its weight, a maximum of 11.5 Tons, overcame that of the lower car. When the car reached the bottom station the tank was emptied and pumped up to a 30,000 gallon tank on the top of the uppe station.
And so it travelled up and down with passengers and Freight. Today it uses an Electric motor and cable winches.