Mounthooly Dovecote was built by Lord Gardenstown around 1800 and sits atop a hillock in the Pitsligo estate which he had recently acquired. It serves as a belvedere giving superb views along the coast and as a landmark for seafarers. The octagonal Tower still contains nest boxes and the revolving potence which was used to access them.
The hedgerow at the foot of the hillock is thick with dog roses and a fragrant tangle of honeysuckle.
Sign in or get an account to comment.