Bridgeton Cross landmark
Bridgeton, now part of the East End of Glasgow, started as a small weaving village in 1705. Its best known landmark is 'The Brigton Umbrella' with its 50 feet high clock tower. This Victorian (1875) cast iron bandstand was renovated in 2010 to improve the general environment in what was a rundown working class area. It now sits in a pedestrianised space.
Extra: A black and white photo by Ben Brooksbank taken in September 1974 of Bridgeton Cross on a very wet day. Note the precarious chimney stacks above the pavements have gone. Only the chimney stack at the end of the temement block remains with the chimneys neatly capped. Satellite dishes now pepper the stacks.
(Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0)