The Haly Ruid howff.
The origins of Newburgh-on-Ythan date back to 1261 when a charter was drawn up by Lord Sinclair establishing a settlement here. Later Lord Sinclair acquired the Chapel of the Holy Rood and St Thomas the Martyr on the banks of the Ythan Estuary. The Chapel is long gone, but the 18th Century Udny Family Mausoleum, which formed part of the chapel, can still be seen in the Holyrood burial ground. The graveyard is unusual in that it is elevated behind a wall, a good 6 feet above the adjacent roadway. The village gardening group have recently planted plants in the wall and at the moment the children are helping brighten our lives by placing painted stones around the village.
Holy Rood is the anglicised form of the Scots Haly Ruid, meaning holy cross, and a howff is a burial ground or other enclosed area.
Breaking news: A suspected bomb has been discovered on the beach and the bomb squad have just gone by!