An early evening socially distanced walk with a friend up to the Lenham Cross and a short plod along the Pilgrim’s Way.
The Lenham Cross was first cut into the chalk downs in 1921 as a memorial to the fallen of the Great War. The cross finally gained official recognition in December 2017 when Historic England registered the cross as a National Monument and War Memorial.
The Lenham Cross measures 61m by 21m and represents the 42 Lenham villagers who lost their lives in the Great War and 14 from WWII.
During WWII the cross was covered over to prevent it being a marker for enemy aircraft. In 1983, it underwent a major renovation with 40 tonnes of chalk added. The cross site is now Grade-II listed.
- Apple iPhone 7