Today we visited the Shotley peninsula between the Rivers Stour and Orwell, and looking towards Felixstowe. We first visited St. Mary the Virgin Church, which dates from 1300, although the Domesday Survey records the existence of a Church building here in 1086.
Here in the churchyard are many Naval Graves including the graves of those who perished on the HMS Ganges in the First World War. There is a memorial to them.
We then went to Shotley Marina and had a walk around the area, and a snack in the cafe there. We could see all the activity going on at the port of Felixstowe, with the unloading of huge containers and the lorries going back and forth with their loads.
Home in time for our usual sherry, we know how to live.
And in the evening we took Helen and Dave to Restaurant 43 in the village for a lovely meal, to thank them for such a great time.