Wandsworth Road Station
Wandsworth Road station opened on 1 March 1863, on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LC&DR). It was on the original double-track low-level route from Victoria via Stewarts Lane to Herne Hill.
The LC&DR also constructed a triple-track high-level route between Battersea Pier Junction and Brixton, part of which opened between Factory Junction, (100 metres north of Wandsworth Road station) and Brixton on 1 May 1866 together with three additional platforms at Wandsworth Road.
This can be seen in the five tracks still visible here!
From May 1866 until April 1916, Wandsworth Road station had five platforms. On 1 May 1867, the London, Chatham and Dover Railway leased the original two tracks to the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway (LBSCR), for use by its new South London Line service (which ran between Victoria and London Bridge via Denmark Hill).
On 1 April 1916, in the middle of the First World War, the three 1866 platforms were closed, as the South Eastern & Chatham railway withdrew its service, leaving only the original two 1863 platforms, which were still served by the LBSCR.
These platforms closed on 19 May 1926. The LBSCR platforms reopened on 20 September 1926. The former South Eastern & Chatham platforms which closed in 1916 were demolished in the late 1920s. Therefore, the current two platforms served by London Overground are the original platforms of 1863.
- Apple iPhone 4S