This year marks the 200th Anniversary of the opening of the present Steeple in Falkirk Town Centre. It is the third Tolbooth or Town House to occupy the site, the first being built in the late 16th or early 17th century and surviving until 1697. Its replacement lasted until 1803, but the present steeple has lasted since 1814.
At one point it served as the local jail and there are still two prison cells on the upper floors of the building. However they are not readily accessible. The ground floor of the steeple building is used currently as a booking office for local shows and attractions.
A severe storm caused the top 40 feet to collapse in 1927 but that was rebuilt and the steeple remains one of the main landmarks of the town centre, featuring on the badge of the mighty Falkirk Football Club. [Information - apart from the last comment - copied from a Falkirk Heritage Trail plaque on the side of the building.]