The prominent red brick building which sits alongside the main North Road, has a long history as a hay baling twine factory and pottery workshop.
The Waikuku Mill was built on the Waikuku Creek. A mill race was constructed and it was finished with its water wheel, mill building, flax store and mill house in 1870. The Waikuku flaxmill was the last of the Mandeville mills to strip green flax and its survival was partly due to its economical use to clean the fibre.
Today its home to a café, pottery, boutique shops and antiques and collectables and it survived the earthquakes! We are thrilled about that :)