Zazu is truly gone ....

Buried in the backyard near the garden shed from whence he came.

Please indulge me, if you will, as I tell his Tail. 

It all started in the middle of one night in early September 2003. Richard heard the plaintive cries of something coming from our backyard. When he went out to investigate the noise this tiny little kitten came running up to him from under the garden shed. 

That was the beginning of an incredible friendship that blossomed over time. As a kitten Zazu wasn't always so nice to me but somewhere along the way we developed a closeness that I have never shared with any of our other cats. We had a special bond and Zazu became my constant companion.  Almost always by my side or laying on the couch behind my head.

Everything in the house reminds me of him.  Even when I was in the bathroom this morning I couldn't help but think of him.  He would often invade my privacy just to sit in there with me.  And it was the same with Richard .... Zazu had a thing for bathrooms you see. He was just too cute. 

As many of you know Zazu has his fair share of medical issues. In July 2014 he was diagnosed with kidney stones and had surgery to remove 15 stones from his kidney and urethra.  Then again in January 2015 he developed another blockage. It was touch a go at that time but he had been doing just fine of late.

Ironically it wasn't the kidney stones that would bring him down this time around. Yesterday evening just after 7:00 pm he came into the living room and seemed to be dragging (or not using) his front right paw. I got down to check on him and he didn't seem to be in any obvious pain. Just to be on the safe side I went and got Richard who asked me to call our vet office to get him in.  Thankfully, we were able to get an appointment right away. By this time Zazu was panting really hard and his heart rate was extremely elevated. During the examination our vet found that he had no reaction to the light and other stimuli in his right eye.  Could be neurological.  She also felt the right leg drag could be paralysis .... he may have had a stroke or thrown a clot.  There was just no way of knowing without extensive tests. And even with the tests the outcome would not be favorable.

Letting him go was the hardest (and most painful) decision we have ever had to make but it was the best for Zazu. We have lost many kitties and one dog over the years but this loss has hit me particularly hard. My heart is broken and my world is shattered. The house just won't be the same without my buddy here. 

No one to share my yogurt with.....

No one to share my ice cream with.....

No one to KangaZu .....

No one to lay with me in the sunroom on hot summer days while R is at work. 

I have added two extras that obviously weren't taken today ... please forgive me.  Extra #1 was taken in early September 2003 after we first found him and brought him in the house to live with us.  Extra #2 is the photo in this picture and is probably one of my all time favorite pictures of Zazu and me .... it's who he was. 

Thank you for reading this and for all the stars and hearts given over the past two days.  They are very much appreciated during this very difficult time in our lives.  I know time heals all wounds, but for right now it doesn't feel that way at all.

We love and miss you already, Zazu.

Zazu W. ~ September 2003 - October 28, 2015  (12 years, 2 months old ... way too young) 

Sign in or get an account to comment.