Milwaukee Pierhead Lighthouse
This lighthouse was built in 1872 to guide boats through the outflow of the Milwaukee River onto Lake Michigan. Around the same time that this was built, the city began construction of the breakers to create a harbor that would be a place for sailors to safely anchor during severe storms. Once the breakers were completed, a 2nd. light house was built at the entrance to the harbor. The Pierhead lighthouse sits directly inland from that one, & only has a range of 7 miles, so is used primarily to guide boats inside the harbor. It became automated in 1939.