St Mary's, Aylesbury
The church of St Mary's in Aylesbury is in the old centre of the town. It retains much of its ancient charm and is a haven of peace and calm amongst the bustle of the shopping centre not far away.
The Parish Church of St. Mary stands near the centre of the town, and is built of squared rubble, roughly coursed, and partly refaced with ashlar; the dressings are of stone. The roofs are covered with lead. It is built on the highest point of the town and is visible for miles around.
The church has a cruciform shape and probably resulted from the complete rebuilding, in the early 13th century, of an earlier 12th century church. In the 14th century other extensions were made to the aisles and the Lady Chapel was built. The two storied North Vestry was added and also the Clearstory and the South Porch was rebuilt and the whole building, except the Chancel, was reroofed in the 15th century. However, by the 19th century the church was in a dangerous condition when the foundations started to fail, and in 1850 Sir Gilbert Scott carried out a complete restoration.
The building with its massive central tower is of fine proportions. The font dates from the late 12th century and the colourful West Window, perpendicular in style, is from the 15th century with its scenes and personalities of the Old Testament.
There is a very spacious Nave on the north side of which is the Chapel of St. George and which has been restored by the Bucks Battalion of the County Regiment as a memorial to the fallen of both World War.
This image is of the main entrance to the church which leads off a narrow lane lined by old cottages and houses.