Above And Beyond...

By BobsBlips


After breakfast we drove to Elounda port to get the ferry to Spinalonga Island. The wife booked the week holiday for this specific purpose; She's read all the books by Victoria Hislop and Beryl Darby on the leper colony that was part of Spinalongas amazing history.
The main blip photo is of the Dome and wonky cross above the old entrance and landing pier that the lepers used. It sorts of sums up the sad history of their existence here. The extra is another dome on the other side of this small island that measures about 600 x 200 metres.

Spinalonga was not always an island.  In 1584, after fortifications were built, the Venetians blew up the land linking it with the mainland.In 1715, the Ottoman Turks captured Spinalonga taking over the last remaining Venetian fortress and removing the last trace of Venetian military presence from the island of Crete. In 1903 the last Turks left the island. The island was subsequently used as a leper colony from 1903 to 1957. It is notable for being one of the last active leper colonies in Europe. The last inhabitant, a priest, left the island in 1962.
After the two hour visit, and walking around in 35 degree heat we cooled down with a drink on the harbourside and then drove up above the town to a real greek taverna called 'The Hope' where two large glasses of white wine, two bottles of lemonades, a bottle of water, we were deprived of £4! Oh, and they chucked in a pile of nibbles. They're lovely people.

Sign in or get an account to comment.